Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Myrtles Plantation

Is the Myrtles Plantation really haunted?  There is no scientific evidence to support ghosts and hauntings and all, and with the Myrtles, it is the hearsay of those who claim to have experienced the Myrtles spirits.  


Are these people experiencing so-called haunts because that is what they expect?  I watched an episode of Ghost Lab where those big, burly guys were just about freaking out because they supposedly were being touched, catching EVPs, and seeing or feeling things watching them that were not there.

When you expect something to be a certain way, it generally turns out to be like that.  There is a widespread, long-believed-to-be-Gospel that the French are rude.  Well, I have never had that experience in all my time spent in France (and I have visited the country four times since 1999).  I would have to state that the Spanish and the Italians are far ruder than the French.  My experience has been that the most gracious and polite of the Europeans I've encountered are the Germans, the Austrians, and to a slightly lesser extent, the British.  If you go to France expecting the French to be rude, you're going to have a noticeable attitude about you and the French people you deal with will notice this and react accordingly.  


Back to the Myrtles...

Okay, so people claim to have taken photos of ghosts there.  I have shot photos of dozens of places that could be haunted: Notre Dame (exterior & interior) , Hohensalzburg Castle that overlooks the quaint town of Salzburg, Versailles Palace, Schloss Neuschwanstein, the Bone Chapel at Kutna Hora (as well as the adjacent cemetery), Old Salem here in Winston Salem...and not one ghost has shown up in any of my hundreds of photos!  (And Old Salem is reputed to be haunted.  There is even a local historian who does a Ghost Walk of the area!)

I don't believe that the Myrtles is haunted.  I don't believe that people come back.  Once you're dead, you're dead.  I dare anyone who truly believes that this place is haunted to pay my expenses to spend a weekend in the old plantation.  If I experience anything supernatural, I will rewrite this blog post and apologize to all who have gone through a paranormal experience there.


No comments:

Post a Comment