Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Vampires Are Not Real



Vampires are not real.  They do not exist.  If they did exist, they would be some of the most evil, blood-thirsty, gruesome, and smelly (non-living things tend to stink) creatures on the planet.  I'm glad there are no such monsters.

However, books and movies glamorize the vampire.  They are no longer looked upon as fanged, rotting, blood-sucking, red-eyed, claw-nailed animated corpses.  They are considered debonair, aristocratic, charming, handsome, beautiful, sexy, winsome, playful, intelligent, and very seductive entities.

There are people who actually consider themselves to be vampires!

I used to be a Goth, part-time.  I often wore black clothing, I dyed my already nearly black hair blue-jet, I wore dark lipstick (though never ebony, at least not out in public), and I listened to Goth music (still do at times).  I often fantasized about vampires but not to the extent that I thought of them as real, or wished that they were.  I considered vampires 'monstrous' if not wicked, and I knew they were not the types of beings that I should look up to, or idolize, or want to be or be like.

Just after the millennium, I became less interested in vampire novels or movies.  I still don't find them as intriguing as I once did.  And no, I have not watched one movie in the dreadful 'Twilight' series.  I will be 43 my next birthday!  My stars, what do you take me for, an absolute child?!?


I once was so into Anne Rice's vampire novels that I would read them over and over again.  I was almost in love with Louis - forget Lestat, I considered him an arrogant bastard, not to mention that I have never been too much attracted to men with blond hair - and I read every vampire short story I could get my hands on.  Now the only vampire novel I can tolerate is 'Salem's Lot.  And I cannot stand vampire movies anymore.

I once joined such Goth-oriented sites as Dark Side of The Net, Goth Space, Vampire Freaks, Gothic Match, etc.  I had pen pals back in the 90s who sucked their own blood, or the blood of friends, and listened to such bands as Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie & The Banshees, and the Sex Gang Children (of whom Boy George was once a member).  

I'm much too old for that stuff now.  But when I was in my 20s...

These days, I feel sorry for anyone over 30 who calls her/himself a 'vampire' and a 'Goth'.  It's as pathetic as someone my age going to see any of the 'Twilight' movies.  Sure, my brother is just a year my junior and he watches cartoons still - though I never would - but 'Twilight' is definitely for the 13 - 23 age group.  Hell, I'd never watch any of the Harry Potter films (though my brother has), nor would I ever read those books.  I don't even read romance novels anymore...

Just having my say, folks.  Vampires are not real.  And we should all be glad they don't.  Very damn glad.  



No comments:

Post a Comment