Monday, December 10, 2012

In Defense of Cats

I am extremely pissed off - yes, I am going there - with the treatment cats have suffered over the years, which parallel the grotesque manner in which women have been treated by society.





Cats are considered 'evil', 'wicked', 'demonic', 'witchy', and so on.  Black cats are unlucky, except in Britain where they are considered lucky.  Gypsies think of cats and dogs as unclean, but will keep dogs because they are useful as guards.

Other unfair misconceptions about cats include the following:

Cats suck the breath from babies.
Cats will attack owners out of jealousy.
Cats are Witches' familiars.
Cats come from Hell.
Cats are not loyal creatures.



I have had pets nearly all my life, dogs as well as cats, and I will admit that my preference is towards cats.  They are more quiet, less troublesome, cleaner - despite what Gypsies believe - and far more intelligent than any dog I have ever encountered.  Cat owners are also more intelligent than dog owners, who tend to kiss, cuddle, and act towards their canine companions as though the four-legged creatures are their lovers more than their pets.

Cats do not suck the breath from babies.  Babies are killed by their own selfish, crazy parents, not cats.
Cats do not attack owners out of jealousy.  This might be dog behavior, however.
Cats are not Witches' familiars.  It's just that Wiccans tend to prefer felines are canines.
Cats do not come from Hell.  If any creature comes from Hell, it is humans.
Cats are loyal creatures.  In fact, cats can be more loyal than any dog - as are my Tigger and Tigress!

You don't have to walk cats.  You don't have to clean them much because they are self-cleaning.  They use a litter box rather than your carpet.  They don't keep you up nights the way dogs do, barking their fool heads off.  They don't take up as much of your time.  They are just better animals than dogs in MY opinion.


I cannot comprehend why Black people are so damn scared of cats.  It is almost laughable really because they run to Church more than any other race of people, yet are so freaking superstitious and ignorant.  (And no, I am not a racist because I happen to be a Black American.  Therefore, I feel free to pass judgment as I see fit.)  My late cousin was so afraid of cats that even when the kittens of feral cats were congregated on her mother's front porch, she would not step foot outside until they were gone.  My late aunt despised them.  Her daughter, who is very child-like, loathes cats.  My other aunt once poked a dead pregnant cat and has been wary of cats ever since.  Why, I don't know.  She has a male friend who states that he can't come to my place because I have cats - like I'd ever invite him!

I am a cat person.  I'm a cat woman.  I love cats.  My goal in life, after getting my screenplays sold and produced, is to start a haven for homeless cats.  I just wish that cats were as pampered, treated as royally, and coddled as dogs are in this society.  Even children are sometimes treated worse than dogs, and I know for a fact that there are rednecks out there who wouldn't hesitate to kill a non-white (especially a Black) but will lay in bed hugging a dog.  Look what happened to Michael Vick after all.

Cats are loving, loyal, sweet, happy-go-lucky, fun, beautiful, companionable, and awesome creatures.  I am so glad that I have two spoiled kitties for my friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment